If you cherish munching healthy snacks then this crunchy and flavorful Oats Chivda or Spicy Oats Trail Mix is just for you. This is an Indian-inspired Chivda that is prepared using roasted oats, some healthy nuts, and some spices to give a tongue-tickling tangy and sweet taste.
About Trail Mix
Recipe with Oats
- 2 Cups (245 grams) rolled oats
- ¼ Cup (45 grams) peanuts
- 2 tbsp (20 grams) broken cashew
- 2 tbsp (20 grams) raisins
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp amchur powder (Dry Mango Powder)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp dry coconut
- 3-4 finely chopped green chilies
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 8-10 curry leaves
How to Prepare Crunchy Oats Chivda
- Lightly filter the oats to get rid of small particles in oats.
- In a heavy bottom pan, dry roast the oats on a medium flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Roast until they occur crunchy. If you crush it with your hands you would hear a bit of crunch.
- Keep the roasted oats on a plate.
- Now add oil to a pan.
- Add the green chilies and coconut into the warm oil.
- Fry this on a slow flame until the coconut starts turning brown.
- Now add curry leaves and peanuts into it.
Also Read: Fresh Corn Salad Recipe
- Roast it again for 4-5 minutes, until you see the peanuts are roasted and their skin begins splitting.
- Now add cashew and roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add raisins, turmeric and give a quick mix.
- Add the roasted oats, chaat masala, salt, and amchur powder.
- Mix everything on a slow flame for 4-5 minutes until well combined.
- Switch off the flame and now add the sugar, continue mixing until the sugar is mixed well.
- Adjust the spices as per your taste.
- Once cool down, store this in an airtight container.
How long this can be stored
Q1 What are some healthy and easy Indian dishes to make with few ingredients?
Ans Oats chivda is one such recipe that can be made in advance and delved into whenever hunger strikes. You can refer to the above given recipe for it.
Q2 What are some of the best Indian snacks that can be made so easily?
Ans Chivda with groundnuts, chana and curry leaves (make it more healthy by adding rolled oats, cornflakes and wheat flakes). Wheat biscuits, sprouts chat, green chana chat, Homemade bhel, etc.
Q3 Are “poha” and “chivda” the same?
Ans Yes. In the raw form, they refer to the same thing: beaten rice. However, ‘Poha’ as a dish (moist savory dish) is quite different from the fried / roasted snack ‘Chivda’ (dry snack).