If you cherish munching healthy snacks then this crunchy oats chivda and flavorful Oats Chivda or Spicy Oats Trail Mix is just for you. This is an Indian-inspired Chivda that is prepared using roasted oats, some healthy nuts, and some spices to give a tongue-tickling tangy and sweet taste.
About Crunchy Oats Chivda
Crunchy Oats Chivda falls in the category of Namkeen which generally is a mix of multiple ingredients. The most familiar Chivda traditionally is made by using flattened rice aka Poha. There are other recipes of the same and can be made by using roasting or frying as one prefers. Now we have multiple varieties of Crunchy Oats Chivda with the main ingredient being poha, or cornflakes.
About Oats Trail Mix
Oats Trail Mix is a kind of snack mix with a combination of granola, dried fruit, nuts, and seeds. Generally, light on the tummy is an ideal snack to get some instant energy boost.
Recipe with Crunchy Oats Chivda
This Crunchy Oats Chivda is a healthy and easy recipe and can be done in as good as 20-30 minutes. One can work around with the ingredients and skip or add ingredients as needed. For instance, if you do not have curry leaves or dry coconut just skip it. One can combine any nuts or seeds or choose to give it a healthier boost.
Ingredients For Crunchy Oats Chivda
- 2 Cups (245 grams) rolled oats
- ¼ Cup (45 grams) peanuts
- 2 tbsp (20 grams) broken cashew
- 2 tbsp (20 grams) raisins
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp amchur powder (Dry Mango Powder)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp dry coconut
- 3-4 finely chopped green chilies
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 8-10 curry leaves
How to Prepare Crunchy Oats Chivda
- Lightly filter the oats to get rid of small particles in oats.
- In a heavy bottom pan, dry roast the oats on a medium flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Roast until they occur crunchy. If you crush it with your hands you would hear a bit of crunch.
- Keep the roasted oats on a plate.
- Now add oil to a pan.
- Add the green chilies and coconut into the warm oil.
- Fry this on a slow flame until the coconut starts turning brown.
- Now add curry leaves and peanuts into it.
- Roast it again for 4-5 minutes, until you see the peanuts are roasted and their skin begins splitting.
- Now add cashew and roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add raisins, turmeric and give a quick mix.
- Add the roasted oats, chaat masala, salt, and amchur powder.
- Mix everything on a slow flame for 4-5 minutes until well combined.
- Switch off the flame and now add the sugar, continue mixing until the sugar is mixed well.
- Adjust the spices as per your taste.
- Once cool down, store this in an airtight container.
How long this can be stored
This Crunchy Oats Chivda can be made in bulk and if stored correctly can last for at least 2-3 weeks. This can also be enjoyed as a good travel snack.
Q1 What are some healthy and easy Indian dishes to make with few ingredients?
Ans. Crunchy Oats Chivda is one such recipe that can be made in advance and delved into whenever hunger strikes. You can refer to the above given recipe for it.
Q2 What are some of the best Indian snacks that can be made so easily?
Ans. Chivda with groundnuts, chana and curry leaves (make it more healthy by adding rolled oats, cornflakes and wheat flakes). Wheat biscuits, sprouts chat, green chana chat, Homemade bhel, etc.
Q3 Are “poha” and “chivda” the same?
Ans. Yes. In the raw form, they refer to the same thing: beaten rice. However, ‘Poha’ as a dish (moist savory dish) is quite different from the fried / roasted snack ‘Chivda’ (dry snack).