Looking for a quick and easy side dish? Give a try this recipe for Onion Salad! This North Indian Onion Salad is a popular raw onion recipe that can either be made with red, white, or sweet onions depending on your tastes and availability. It is a Vegan Dish.
It is a quick side dish or salad to prepare and is usually served in North Indian restaurants or Dhabas/roadside eateries. They are often served with tandoori or grilled Indian snacks and appetizers.
They also go well with Pulao, Biryani, tandoori dishes like Paneer tikka or whatever rich curry dish like Chana masala, Paneer butter masala, Shahi paneer, Kadai paneer or Malai kofta, etc along with Naan or tandoori roti.
This onion rings salad is thinly sliced onion rings tossed with lemon juice, red chili powder, and salt. So you can instantly make these sliced onions at home to go as an accompaniment with a North Indian meal.
Another popular side dish made from onions that pair well with tandoori dishes or rich curry dishes is pickled onions or Sirke wale pyaaz. Both spiced onion salad and sirke wale pyaaz are often served as accompaniment in almost every Indian restaurant.
When it is made, usually add either chopped mint or coriander leaves to the salad. A pinch of chaat masala also perks up this easy salad. In the place of lemon juice, you can use vinegar.
This spiced onion salad has to be served fresh and immediately. So only prepare the proportions which you would be serving.
- 1 medium to large onion, thinly sliced into rings
- ¼ tsp red chili powder or cayenne pepper or as per taste
- ½ to 1 tsp chaat masala (optional)
Also Read: Sweet-Tangy Broccoli Salad Recipe
- 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar or as per taste
- Chopped coriander leaves or mint leaves
- Salt to taste, any edible rock salt or black salt, or regular salt as required
How to make spiced onion salad
- Slice one large onion into thin rings or rounds.
- Take the onion rings in a bowl.
- Add red chili powder, chaat masala (optional), and chopped mint leaves into it.
- Add salt as required.
- Lastly, add lemon juice or vinegar.
- Toss everything very well.
- Then check the seasoning and add more salt, red chili powder, or lemon juice if needed.
- Serve the spiced onion salad immediately.
- This recipe can be effortlessly multiplied to double or triple.
- The number of spices can be customized as per your preferences.
Leave a comment below. Your comments keep us inspired.
Q1 Which is best in a salad, white onion, red onion, or green onion?
Ans All of them are great so, it would depend on what you have on hand or want to use.
Q2 What is the best onion for salads?
Ans Yellow onions are drier and have a higher sulphur content. Red onions in salads, as they’re milder and sweeter than yellow onions, but some people think they’re too strong. White onions are a little stronger than red onions and are closer to yellow onions in flavor, but slivered are good in salads. Green onions will please most people.
Q3 What is the benefit of eating raw onion every day as a salad?
Ans Eating raw onions every day can lower your blood sugar can prevent tooth decay stomach ulcers and asthma.